Friday 18 November 2011

Lessons from Eric and Hickstead

Like pretty much everyone in the horse community, I was pretty devastated by the sudden loss of Hickstead. Watching the tributes and the interviews, I started to think a lot about how the story of the partnership between Eric and Hickstead can be an inspiration to all of us. Different people will take away different things. I will keep with me the idea that our horses can be so much more than others see in them. You kept hearing it - Hickstead was too short, to uncontrollable, too hot.

Bentley was considered at different times a throwaway, a nervous wreck and an difficult prospect for dressage due to his unfavourable confirmation. And, while, due to his confirmation, etc., things will take time to happen, in the end he is a gentle soul and an unbelivably dedicated partner. He is the horse that loves my coach so much I'm sure he would crawl into her lap if he could.

Will he go to the Olympics? No, but who he is, and what he, like all horses, do for us, is enough.

Thanks Hickstead.

No comments:

Post a Comment